April 12, 2010

Mexican food & Martinis at Castroni

I'm as big a fan of spaghetti alla carbonara as the next gal, but after three years of Italian food, I challenge even the most avid pasta connoisseur not to be just a tad stuffata (fed-up) with Rome's parade of amatriciana, cacio e pepe, and arrabbiata.  Don't get me wrong, usually all I need is a one-night pasta break with my pal the spicy-sausage pizza, but occasionally I feel the need to head to Castroni.  Not only does this specialty shop stock ethnic-food staples (Mexican, Chinese, Indian, & the illustrious Betty Crocker), gourmet chocolates, & high-quality Italian products, they also make quite good martinis.
Castroni's Mexican food section is exactly where I stocked up when we decided to throw a South-of-the-Border style party (which, it turns out, is considered wildly exotic for most Italians). Although those cans of 
Rosarita's refried beans don't come cheap, I wasn't able to find anything close to Castroni's rare-in-Rome ethnic selections (there is a small aisle at Conad in Termini Station & the Mercato di Piazza Vittorio has a large Indian & Asian).

Amidst stuffing their cornflower taco shells, our non-Italian guests also remarked on the scarcity of options in Rome & many admitted this was their first Mexican "meal". The subsequent "oohs & ahhs" over the green salsa (thanks Old El Paso) made my inner Californian blush, and confirmed the need for a little more Latin flare in the Eternal City.    

Castroni
Via Nazionale, 71
06/662 5779
For other locations in Rome check: